Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Faces: Meet Mary Williams

Meet Producer/Announcer Mary Williams. She's the friendly voice you hear most weekday mornings on VPR News!

Q: What are you up to this weekend?
A: My weekend plans include such glamorous activities as finishing filing my taxes. I’m also going for a nice long run with my sister-in-law and then making a big breakfast for my family. Plus, if I get my way, I’ll actually sit down on the couch to finish Beautiful Boy. I’ve been meaning to read it and Neal Charnoff’s interview last week with author, David Sheff, spurred me on.

Q: Who is your public radio role model?
A: I’m always impressed with the female journalists of NPR, especially those covering difficult situations and witnessing history-in-the-making in every corner of the world. And I must count the reporters on the VPR news staff among my role models. The reporting is absolutely top-notch. Then, of course, for entirely personal reasons, I have a ridiculous radio crush on Craig Windham. He can read me the NPR news headlines anytime.

Q: In addition to your work at VPR, you also own and operate Good Girls Vegan Bakery. Will you share a favorite vegan recipe with us?
A: Here’s a super-easy recipe for chickpea flour pizza from Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian cookbook. This would be a perfect "Meatless Monday" meal and it’s also gluten-free.

Chickpea Flour Pizza

2/3 cup chickpea flour (also called besan or garbanzo-fava flour; I use the Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1 cup of water
pinch of sea salt
olive oil

Whisk the flour, water and salt together, making sure to whisk out any lumps. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Heat up a heavy-bottomed, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop (cast iron works great for this).

Meanwhile, turn on your oven’s broiler. When the skillet is hot, add oil and pour in batter and let set, about four minutes.

Next comes the fun part! Add whatever combinations you and your family love: Tomato and fresh basil or chili powder and sliced avocado or onion and sage leaves… The possibilities are endless. After you add the toppings, drizzle a bit more oil over the top and slide the skillet under the broiler for a bit. Don’t walk away! It won’t take long…

To serve, slice it as you would a pizza and add a nice bed of greens on top or on the side.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds great! Just new to the gluten free world, so happy to have this recipe.

    Martha in Montpelier

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments anytime, but please keep it civil and constructive! Also, please provide at least your full name and town. Thanks for reading!