|There's just half a cookie left!|
As of 1 p.m. today, more than 2,600 people have generously supported VPR for a total of $251,926.
When you think about it, membership drives are definitely for people who see the glass as half full, or perhaps a better analogy considering the photo here, who see the cookie only half eaten.
After all, at the root of each membership drive is an unfailing optimism that our listeners will come together in support of VPR. I remember clearly my first membership drive as an employee: It was a summer drive and the pledges were not ringing off the hook as we had expected. I expressed my concern to Robin Turnau, the president of VPR, who calmly stated, "Brendan, our listeners will come through for us."
And you know what? She was right. Shortly after our conversation, the drive turned around and we went on to not only meet, but surpass the goal. We're optimistic because our listeners come through for us time and again. Thank you!
Today is also psychologically important because we start counting down. With five days to go, we have just $248,000 left to raise.
Some winter membership drive stats you might enjoy:
- So far, 43% of our pledges have been through the mail, 35% have been over the phone, and 22% have been online.
- The average pledge is $95.89.
- Our best day so far was Friday, when we raised a total of $52,295.
- Congrats to our prize winners! The Small Dog Electronics gift certificate winner was Amelia Shillingford of Bellows Falls, VT; The Wait! Wait...Don't Tell Me! trip winner was Mark Hesler, Franconia, NH.
- So far, 635 listeners have requested the new VPR Artist Mug.